Guide to the Santa Cruz House Day Book Collection (1872-1874)

Overview +

Collection Number





Numberof Containers: One (1) box
Linear Feet: One (1) foot


This collection contains only one box, and is not divided into any series. The collection is composed of one book. The leather-bound book is very intricately decorated. The book contains three hundred twenty two (322) pages. On pages 2-48, and page 322, are handwritten hotel entries. These entries include names, notes, and information on money exchanged or due. On pages 49-76 are a mix of handwritten and cut out knitting instructions. Pages 77-321 are blank.


Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History, Archives
705 Front Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95065


The Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History, Santa Cruz

Preferred Citation

Santa Cruz House Day Book (1872-1874) Collection, The Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History, Santa Cruz.

Publication Rights

All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the head of Archives at MAH. Researchers may be responsible for obtaining copyright permission to use material not produced by museum personnel.


Shannon Barry

Date Completed


History +

The Santa Cruz house was constructed in 1851 of split redwood. It stood near the main post office. The house was one main hotels in Santa Cruz in the 1860s, the other being the Pacific Ocean House. The owners of the two hotels had an active rivalry. A New Santa Cruz House was erected near the site of the original hotel, and was opened on February 2, 1864. On May 30, 1887 a fire started in a nearby Chinese laundry. This fire spread, and though the hose cart teams rushed to the scene but the town’s water supply was at low pressure and not much could be done. The Santa Cruz House burned down that afternoon.