Guide to the Oliver Ranch Ledger Book Minutes Collection (1912 – 1930)

Overview +


Collection Number

No Number


This collection was created by a record keeper at the Oliver Ranch. Donor and date of donation is unknown.


Number of Containers: One (1) box
Linear Feet: .5 feet


This collection contains only one box, and is not divided into any series. The collection is composed on a single book. This book is a ledger and contains handwritten records from the Oliver Ranch from 1912 through the late 1920s. The ledger begins with a directory filled with names of customers, collaborators, and business partners. Pages 1-42 contain lists of payments to local merchants. Hay receipts from 1912-1914 are located on pages 50-52. Information on cherry pickers and production from 1929 are on pages 146-164. Various orchard records are located on pages 60-66, the years represented are 1921-1930. The rest of the ledger is empty.


Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History, Archives
705 Front Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95065


The Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History, Santa Cruz

Preferred Citation

Oliver Ranch Ledger Book Collection, The Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History, Santa Cruz

Publication Rights

All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the head of Archives at MAH. Researchers may be responsible for obtaining copyright permission to use material not produced by museum personnel.


Shannon Barry

Date Completed


History +

The Oliver Ranch was located in Soquel on Old San Jose Road. The Oliver family has been in the Santa Cruz area for over one hundred years. William Oliver came to Soquel in 1858, and bought 300 acres of land. He sold half of the land and planted the other half with grain. Eventually William Oliver added an orchard, including many cherry trees. These cherry trees eventually covered the property. Three different homes have stood on the ranch from the time William Oliver bought the land through 1965. The Oliver family and their relatives continued to own the land through the early 1990s.