Guide to the Elsie Jameson Collection (1880s – 1920s) – History

View the full guide to this collection

Elsie Mabel Jameson was born near Boulder Creek, California, in 1894.  She was the daughter of Henry Alexander and Rose Marie (Sarpy) Jameson.  Her father was owner of the Oak Grove Ranch on Bear Creek Road in Boulder Creek.  He died in 1901 when Elsie was seven and her sister Gertrude was six.  Elsie’s brother George died at the age of one and a half in 1902.  Her mother then married John Howland.  John died in 1911.  Elsie’s mother apparently never married again.  Elsie’s grandparents were William Locke and Aurilla (Crandall) Jameson , who owned a ranch below today’s Delaveaga Park in Santa Cruz.  Grandfather Jameson was a brother of Mary Jameson (Mrs. David M. Locke) who owned Locke’s Dairy on Mount Hermon Road in Scotts Valley.  He was also a brother of Laura Jameson (Mrs, Isaac Dakin) whose husband and family owned the Laurel Glen Fruit Farm on Laurel Glen Road near Soquel.  Elsie’s family moved in 1907 to Santa Cruz, where they lived on Washburn Avenue.  In 1911 Elsie left Branchiforte Grammar School to work in the office of the Santa Cruz Surf.  She was associated with local newspapers, principally in the bookkeeping department, for almost 50 years.  In 1915 she began working for the Santa Cruz Evening News.  When the News was sold to the Santa Cruz Sentinel in 1941, Elsie went to work in the Sentinel office, retiring in 1961.  She and her mother lived at 1301 King Street for over 30 years.  Elsie’s sister, Gertrude (Jameson) Main, died in 1956.  Her mother died in 1965.   Elsie died in 1966.